Child abuse is a concerning issue in Pakistani society that is unfortunately poorly addressed. Its dark clouds have horrifyingly prevailed in our atmosphere. According to a report, eight children are sexually abused in Pakistan every single day. Children included in the age group of six to fifteen years are at greater risk. Moreover, children of age between two months to five years have also been found vulnerable to sexual violence. Numerous such cases are not even reported by parents because of shame and honor. Such incidents at a very young age may haunt the victim for a lifetime.
The lack of parental understanding and failure to guide children in simple language and understandable ways has exacerbated the situation too. In the wake of recent happenings of child abuse cases, Arfa Karim Foundation found a dire need for addressing this issue in the required way.
THE PROJECT ROADMAP:
‘Carethekids’ is a massive project that seeks to address child abuse. We will encourage parents to talk to their children about this and fill the connection gap. We aim to work in the following three steps;
Step 1- Awareness Campaigns
- AKF initiates awareness campaigns on social media and live platforms.
- We address the public in creative and attentive ways.
- We come forward with new ideas on how to enhance the security and well-being of our kids.
Step 2- Celebrities Collaboration
- AKF collaborates with various media and non-media celebrities.
- Interview sessions with influencers will be held to discuss child abuse, its root causes, impact and prevention.
- Vlogging and live video sessions.
- Joint efforts.
Step 3- Talking Dolls
- AKF has come up with an idea of talking toys such as dolls, teddies, etc.
- Exclusively designed talking toys will conversate with kids in schools or homes.
- School going children will apprehend the matter in a playful yet clever way.
- Their parents are encouraged to take part in such programs and connect with their kids in a friendly manner.
- Child to parent connection does fifty percent of the part in tackling sexual violence.
CURRENT STATUS OF THE PROJECT:
We have started working on child and parent awareness campaigns and programs. It will address the general public on how to ensure your child’s security and how to aware of bad people lurking on the streets. In our social media pages, we have initiated open talks regarding this matter.
‘Care the kids’ will hopefully be the bridge between children and their parents. Every child is precious, and we are hopeful to dexterously shape our society and make it a better place for our generations to live.